What is the difference between MOU, MRA and RMA for CPA Canada?

Updated: May 6, 2020

What is the difference between Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), Reciprocal Membership Agreements (RMAs), and Mutual Recognition Agreements (MRAs)?

Accountants with a

  • Designation from specified international accounting bodies, and

  • Membership in good standing from any of these institutes

are eligible to get CPA Canada designation through RMA or MRA.

Those accountants with designations from the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India and the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Pakistan may qualify through MOU.

Let's get clarity on each of these agreements :

  • Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA): An agreement between the two accounting institutes that stipulates the right to be a member and have the right to practice public accounting.

  • Reciprocal Membership Agreement (RMA): An agreement between the two accounting bodies that grants the right to membership.

  • Memorandum of Understanding (MOU): An agreement that specifies the criteria by which members of one body are eligible to apply for membership in the other accounting institute.

The technical difference between these agreements is that in case of an MOU, you need to write the CPA Common Final Exam (CFE), but with RMA and MRA, you are exempted from this exam.

If you are a qualified member in good standing of an international accounting body, you will be eligible for CPA certification in Canada.

Other posts relating MRA and RMA: https://www.notsoworkholic.com/post/rma-cpa-canada https://www.notsoworkholic.com/post/cpa-canada-mra A post relating CPA Canada's MOU: https://www.notsoworkholic.com/post/ca-to-cpa-canada 

For MOU candidates, the right to practice public accounting may require additional examination and/or experience requirements. For more information, one should contact the provincial CPA provincial body of the province in which you currently reside or plan to reside.

302 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All